Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bush on Blair

Bush: Blair exit may be my fault

US President George Bush has said he "could be" partly to blame for UK Prime Minister Tony Blair's departure from Downing Street.

Appearing at a joint press conference at the White House, Mr Bush was asked if he was responsible for the end of Mr Blair's premiership.

He said: "I could be", before saying he would work with his successor Gordon Brown, adding he was a "good fella".

[]

At their last joint press conference in Washington on Thursday, the two leaders heaped praise on each other and re-affirmed their relationship.

Mr Blair said he admired Mr Bush "as a president and I regard him as a friend" and said he was proud of the relationship between their countries.

"I've taken a view that Britain should stand shoulder to shoulder with America after September the 11th. I have never deviated from that view, I do not regret that view," he said.

[]

Asked whether he was "partly to blame" for Mr Blair's departure, Mr Bush joked: "I haven't polled the Labour conference, but, could be."

He added: "The question is, am I to blame for his leaving? I don't know".

And he rounded on British journalists asking about Mr Blair's retirement, accusing them of trying to "tap dance on the prime minister's grave".

[]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6666897.stm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home